Sunday 16 May 2010

celebrity


Although Moscow is clearly a world-class capital city, there is a surprising reverence towards foreigners. Whilst the trend for employing non-Russians - particularly in business and design fields - as an (expensive) status symbol is waning, being English definitely still gives one a bit of kudos. Since I have been here, I have been a judge for a design competition, been interviewed on Russia Today, been part of another TV video, had my photo in design magazines, and have now been asked to give a talk at Garage Contemporary Art Centre. I do know that this is mainly because I am not only a foreigner but also available (that is, I don't have to be flown in at great expense), but nonetheless the degree of attention feels a bit overwhelming - and just a bit flattering.

No comments:

Post a Comment