Monday 9 May 2011

Greetings from Miami


So it is 7.30 in the morning and I am standing in line waiting for the Apple Store Miami to open, hoping to get one of their - very few - new iPads (my only excuse being jet-lag, meaning I have been up since 5.00 am anyway, so I might as well be here). And of course, there are two Russians behind me and we get to talk about national queuing characteristics.

 This is a conversation I had recently with an Italian colleague in Moscow; he summed up Italian queuing as basically an intensive funneling effect. The British and the Americans queue - I think - in a similar way; relatively orderly lines but a lot of tutting and discussions based on what the queue is doing/who is pushing in/ why are we queuing anyway, Apple do this on purpose just to command product loyalty, etc.

Russian queues, from my experience, are more complicated, a kind of amalgam of both the above methods. People bunch up rather than form a line; yet there is a clear idea of order. People often ask who is the last in line, so they know who to follow. Which makes it particularly incomprehensible if you don't speak the language. 

2 comments:

  1. My mum dealt admirably with Russian queues while she was here, after suffering an extensive tutorial from me.

    Most of my public tantrums since moving to Moscow have been queue-related. At least two or three of them in Zara. Don't get me started on Topshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how did she do it? Did she shout? Did she push? I need to know!

    ReplyDelete